Wednesday 24 August 2016

The Other Side

Today, I stumbled upon some of my old stuff and found some cassettes of my wife's favourite TV shows. She would watch them repeatedly. I wonder what she liked about them. She would always ask me to join her as she watched those shows but I'd just make an excuse and escape. It has been fifteen years since I lost my wife.

As I sat alone in my living room, with nothing to do on a Sunday evening, I decided to watch the shows. I watched each and every show. One after another. All through the night.

The wind was cold outside. But the nostalgia gave me the real chill. The faint echo of my wife's laughter filled the empty house once again. Her face would lighten up whenever she watched these shows. Each time she had the show on, I'd move to the verandah, immerse myself into a book full of stories of a world that existed only in the imagination of a reader. Occasionally, when I would lift my head from the book, I'd look at the window of my house which gave me a direct view of the living room. All I'd see is a woman laughing like a little girl. Enjoying her own company.

Now that I think of it, I wish I had looked at the other side of the window more often.



2 comments: