Sunday 1 June 2014

Rode on the road.

I am close to 21 and I quite recently learnt to ride. I missed the fun of riding cycle in my childhood but I did learn it finally with the help of kids in my street who are a decade younger to me. After being a graduate and having nothing to do in your hands, you tend to crave for more learning and that's when you take up the tasks which were ignored earlier among the other things life offered.
Seeing the world as a pedestrian is so much more different from seeing it from a rider's point of view. Initially when I started riding I would behave like a timid Indian pedestrian who is bound to give way to those with the power vested in them by the means of their vehicle. It was difficult for me to hush away the fear in the beginning. Anything done continuously for 21 days becomes a habit, and here it's 21 years that I've been in the habit of walking. However with time I'm growing to become fearless.
Before I learnt to ride, I always blamed the riders/drivers for accidents that occurred. But as I can now see the other side of the story, there's more to the cause of accidents. Preoccupied pedestrians, dreamers, people who are easily distracted by lights, colours, posters, amateur street walkers (remember walking on roads is now a skill which only few posess, rest are just lucky to survive), fighters (I mean those who are on roads after a fight, they come on streets just to vent), people who do multitasking- text and walk, impulsive tourists and crazy artists (includes bloggers too). Yes, these along with the rider's 'killer' intentions could be the possible reasons for accidents to occur.
However, when innocent naive riders like me are handed over the responsibility of lives on the roads, things get interesting you know. Well, everyone has these 'cute guy' incidents and I had one recently. So I was consciously riding, with all my attention on the road, not thinking of anything else but riding. And from the other side of the road a handsome distraction arrives and I could sense I was losing control. Well what can I do, I'm still a learner (in terms of riding I meant). Somehow I balanced my bike to not get embarrassed by falling down or crashing into him. And while I was doing this I realised he was looking at me . As he approached closer I saw him signalling to me. Don't get your hopes high but I like the way you think. He was just asking me to switch off the headlight as it was daytime. Phew.
Adding to the adventure, there have been uncountable times when I felt like I'm going to kill the one in front of me. But fortunately or unfortunately, they have all been lucky. I feel like I have gifted each person a new life. I could have changed both their future as well as mine. Now I can proudly say I'm a social worker. And how you'd ask. I'll say by saving your life.

My advice goes to people on the roads- do not read blogs like these while you are walking or driving or riding; start wearing helmets you walkers, put that head to good use I say; join a crash course where they teach you to walk attentively on roads (I need one before y'all, so let me know if you find one); walk faster, it helps reduce weight (I have scientific backing); save fuel, walk more. But more importantly save lives, walk carefully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment